Software Project Manager
We have an exciting opportunity for a Software Project Manager in the area of Software Controls. Reporting directly to the Software Engineering Manager and dotted line to the Project Management Office (PMO), you will be managing multiple software projects in a manner that will help us to evolve our Software Engineering capability in predictability, schedule structure and adherence terms, thereby contributing to our highly complex control projects that need to be delivered according to best in class practices, quality, on time and within budget.
This is also a customer facing role with responsibility for controlling the software projects engagement with customer systems and schedules. Some time on site at customer locations is required to drive your software projects through on-site commissioning and acceptance phases.
- Ability to understand the scope of the project allowing the creation, management and maintenance of meaningful software schedules that align to PERT estimations and the work as it will happen on the ground, thereby allowing effective and active management of progress.
- Hold regular software project meetings at a cadence and nature appropriate to the project phase, to drive the software project from initial commitment through development and onto acceptance at the customer site.
- Work as an integrated part of the software team, identify and removing obstacles to the effective running of the software projects.
- Actively manage software project risks and issues
- Drive the software project through the project stage gates ensuring all content, process and quality criteria are met, in alignment with the overall project needs and stage gates.
- Be the primary contact to the overall system Project Manager in terms of software project planning and execution with clear ability to show SW Status, Risks, assumptions dependencies on the project.
- Create and report on the project status at the weekly software operations meeting.
- Drive best practice/continuous improvement in Software Scheduling and Management including documentation of those practices and processes.
- Contribute to the evolution of the Project Management Best Practices with the PMO, ensuring alignment on std approach across projects.
- Drive the management, communication, execution & delivery of allocated projects from proposal, through execution, delivery and after-action review, reporting back on project progress (technical issues / project updates) as required.
- Lead Software project meetings both internally and with Customers or Suppliers.
- Ensure you and your projects teams adhere to the company’s guidelines and core values.
- Support department goals and objectives.
- Some travel required (10%).
Essential requirements & qualifications you need:
- Level 8/9 Degree in Computer Science, Electronics, IT or other Technology discipline with 5+ years’ experience in a SW project leadership role.
- Naturally well organised with a demonstrated ability to create, maintain and manage schedules using standard tools such as MS Project.
- Experience engaging with and managing customer expectations
- Knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle and its importance in delivering quality output.
- Demonstrated delivery of continuous improvement activities.
- Experience in delivering software into projects that have significant mechanical, electrical and product build elements.
- Knowledge of software, development, build and test best practices.
- Demonstrated resilience with an ability to actively manage expectations and drive software projects through good and challenging times.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and support a project team through all the project life cycles phases.
- Demonstrated ability to manage challenging technical tasks in areas where they do not fully understand the technical issues underneath.
- Motivated by continuous personal growth and the will to make a difference in everything they do.
- Full Clean Driver’s License is required.
- Experience of working on automation projects utilising a mix of PLC (Allen Bradley, Siemens) PC, HMI, Networking, Servo/Motion Control, and I/O, understanding of safety systems – GuardLogix
- Previous experience working in a software development role in any industry
- Knowledge of a variety of software development methodologies and adapting them to suit individual project or customer needs.
- Experience in driving SW processes and tools improvements.
- PMP qualification
- Knowledge of Gamp5
- Knowledge of IEC 61131
What we offer:
- Hybrid working
- Flexible working
- Working with latest technologies
- Opportunities for progression
- Diverse workforce
- A range of benefits
About Modular Automation
We are an Irish company that have devoted the past 35 years to delivering innovative custom automation, build to print and tooling solutions for the world’s most advanced manufacturers. Consecutively chosen as a Best Managed Company in Ireland by Deloitte for the past seven years, we are committed to always, always delivering the right solution.
We specialise in designing and building bespoke, reliable, complete solutions which automate highly complex production processes. Through deep client collaboration we support our customers on the automation journey as they transition to smart methods of manufacturing that ultimately drive productivity and business efficiencies.
Modular Automation is an equal opportunities employer.
Job Type: Full Time Permanent
Job Location: Shannon Co Clare (Hybrid)
Reports to: Software Operations Manager
Closing Date: 31st January 2023