careers / Software Engineering Manager
Software Engineering Manager
The role of the Software Engineering Manager is to lead the Software Engineering Department for a fast-paced high technology Automation company working with multinational customers in FDA regulated manufacturing sector.
This role is responsible for the management of a Software Engineering team to deliver on the full lifecycle of software integration projects for automation solutions, this encompasses requirements gathering, code development & testing and equipment commissioning.
This is a management position operating at a high level in the business and reporting to the Engineering Director. The department manager will have responsibility for leading and managing a team of 40 software development, test and commissioning Engineers along with multiple 3rd party software partners.
We’re looking for an experienced leader who is excited to lead, manage and grow a best in class software Development capability. This will encompass planning project deliverables and software architecture strategies aligned with project goals. Development of departmental capabilities through the development of team members is a key part of the role.
The role requires effective daily operations management of the department ensuring that the team meet project goals, department goals and wider business goals and objectives. The role requires an ability to deliver strong strategic and technical leadership balanced with strong people management.
This is a customer facing role with responsibility for meeting customer needs and developing lasting partnerships with key customers.
Qualifications & Experience
- 10+ years in similar role or related role
- L8 Degree in Software development related discipline
- L9 an advantage
- People Management Experience
- Department Management Experience
- Project/Program Management Experience
- Agile software development methodologies
- Expert Knowledge in development of large scale automation and IOT software solutions
- Experience in driving organisational development and change
- Responsible for the day to day activities of the Software Engineering department
- Responsible for ensuring the Software Engineering Department deliver best in class project delivery to meet project requirements while also delivering on schedule and on budget.
- Responsible for planning and maintaining work systems, procedures, and policies that enable and encourage the optimum performance of the team and other resources within the department
- Create and manage department and project workplans
- Ensure team Capacity and Capability is in place to deliver on business needs
- Work with the Commercial department to ensure appropriate platform selection and cost at concept and proposal stage.
- Develop accurate costings based on customer scope
- Deliver visual representations of software architecture and scale to communicate value to customer
- Identify value opportunities for customers within project proposals
- Creates and manages trusted international third party software development supply channels
- Ensures on time delivery of both new development and recommissioned software solutions
- Oversee a portfolio of concurrent projects involving diverse technologies, devices and software skillsets at their core.
- Monitor Cost, Schedule, Scope and Risk for the portfolio of projects in the department.
- Ensure Software team members follow the Modular project delivery methodology.
- Accountable for project governance of Software Engineering deliverables, collaborate closely with Head of PMO.
- Communicate the status of projects in the department to Engineering Director and Senior Leadership Team
- Sign off on Project Estimations for end to end Software Delivery.
- Track and manage project deliverables to schedules and agree mitigation plans
- Lead, motivate, communicate with, develop and performance manage a high performance team to ensure they are fully motivated to achieve best performance to meet the company’s needs
- Embed clear structure and regular communications within team including standard work of department, strategic alignment, workload management and department scorecards
- Ability to coach teams through 1:1’s & feedback on performance
- Work with Human Resources to recruit, interview, select and hire the very best talent
- Continually optimise department organisational structure and Roles & Responsibilities
- Set goals and objectives for the team to build a high performing team
- Ensure roles and responsibilities are clear and develop team and roles to fit with business needs.
- Manage team capacity plan to deliver on project portfolio, communicate capacity risks.
Continuous Improvement and Innovation
- Promote innovation within the department and develop and execute continuous improvement program for the department
- Work to embed and promote a culture of standardization and continuous improvement work processes
- Sponsor company CI program within Software Engineering by facilitating learning and development of CI skills as well as measurement and facilitation of departmental CI plans
- By contributing through self and others drive department relevant technology research, platform and component selection for projects and continually look for innovative and cost effective solutions.
- Responsible for leading new product and service development for software and IOT related offerings
Grow Profile of the Software Engineering Department
- Set, communicate and manage strategic objectives for Software Engineering team
- Maintain & Develop lasting partnerships with customers, technology partners, universities etc.
- Represent Software Engineering team at management level
- Collaborate with peers on the management team to deliver best outcomes for the department and the wider business
Key Skills & Attributes
- Focused on delivery
- Excellent organisational skills
- Customer focused
- Ability to lead and manage a team
- Trustworthy & efficient
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- Ability to make responsible & effective decisions
- Systems thinker
- Excellent planning, prioritisation and task management skills
- The role is based onsite in Modular Automation Shannon, Co. Clare
- The role involves travel to supplier and vendor sites related to projects
Closing Date: 30th October 2020
Submit Your CV
If you don’t see a match for your talents among our current open positions, please do still email your CV with a cover note to be considered for future opportunities.