Software Development Manager
Location: Shannon, Co. Clare
Software Development Manager
Shannon, Co. Clare
Modular Automation specialize in designing, building, and delivering automation solutions for the world’s most progressive manufacturers in the MedTech industry. With an international team of over 170 employees, we have delivered over 8,000 projects, integrated over three hundred robots, and received recognition by Deloitte as “Best Managed Company” for seven consecutive years in a row. We deliver outstanding automation solutions by leveraging innovative design, advanced engineering, and a passion for precision. Our value to our customers is “We always, always deliver.” This bold statement underpins our culture, our team, our people, and the way we work together. Our customers know that they can trust us to deliver. We have the expertise, commitment, and determination to make the unknown known, and our team will go the extra mile to make it happen.
The role of the Software Development Manager is to lead the Software Development Team for a fast-paced high technology Automation company working with multinational customers in the FDA regulated manufacturing sector.
This role is responsible for the management of a Software Engineering team to deliver on the full lifecycle of software integration projects for automation solutions, this encompasses requirements gathering, code development & testing and equipment commissioning.
This is a management position operating at a high level in the business and reporting to the Engineering Director. The department manager will have responsibility for leading and managing a team of 20+ software development, test, and commissioning Engineers along with multiple 3rd party software partners.
We’re looking for an experienced leader who is excited to lead, manage and grow a best-in-class software Development capability. This will encompass planning project deliverables and software architecture strategies aligned with project goals. Development of departmental capabilities through the development of team members is a key part of the role.
The role requires effective daily operations management of the department ensuring that the team meets project goals, department goals and wider business goals and objectives. The role requires an ability to deliver strong strategic and technical leadership balanced with strong people management.
This is a customer facing role with responsibility for meeting customer needs and developing lasting partnerships with key customers.
Qualifications & Experience:
- 10+ years in similar role
- L8 Degree in Software development related discipline
- L9 an advantage
- People Management Experience
- Department Management Experience
- Project/Program Management Experience
- Agile software development methodologies
- Expert Knowledge in development of large-scale automation and IOT software solutions
- Experience in driving organisational development and change.
- Responsible for the day-to-day activities of the Software Development Team
- Ensured the Software Development Team deliver best in class project delivery to meet project requirements while also delivering on schedule and on budget.
- Planning and maintaining work systems, procedures, and policies that enable and encourage the optimum performance of the team and other resources within the department.
- Create and manage department and project workplans.
- Ensure team Capacity and Capability is in place to deliver on business needs.
- Work with the Commercial department to ensure appropriate platform selection and cost at concept and proposal stage.
- Develop accurate costings based on customer scope.
- Deliver visual representations of software architecture and scale to communicate value to customer.
- Identify value opportunities for customers within project proposals.
- Creates and manages trusted international third-party software development supply channels.
- Ensures on time delivery of both new development and recommissioned software solutions.
- Oversee a portfolio of concurrent projects involving diverse technologies, devices, and software skillsets at their core.
- Monitor Cost, Schedule, Scope, and Risk for the portfolio of projects in the department.
- Ensure Software team members follow the Modular project delivery methodology.
- Accountable for project governance of Software Engineering deliverables, collaborating closely with Head of PMO.
- Communicate the status of projects in the department to Engineering Director and Senior Leadership Team
- Sign off on Project Estimations for end-to-end Software Delivery.
- Track and manage project deliverables to schedules and agree mitigation plans.
- Lead, motivate, communicate with, develop and performance manage a high-performance team to ensure they are fully motivated to achieve best performance to meet the company’s needs.
- Embed clear structure and regular communications within team including standard work of department, strategic alignment, workload management and department scorecards.
- Ability to coach teams through 1:1’s & feedback on performance.
- Work with Human Resources to recruit, interview, select and hire the best talent.
- Continually optimise department organisational structure and Roles & Responsibilities
- Set goals and objectives for the team to build a high performing team.
- Ensure roles and responsibilities are clear and develop team and roles to fit with business needs.
- Manage team capacity plan to deliver on project portfolio, communicate capacity risks.
Continuous Improvement and Innovation
- Promote innovation within the department and develop and execute continuous improvement program for the department.
- Work to embed and promote a culture of standardization and continuous improvement work processes.
- Sponsor company CI program within Software Engineering by facilitating learning and development of CI skills as well as measurement and facilitation of departmental CI plans.
- By contributing through self and others drive department relevant technology research, platform and component selection for projects and continually look for innovative and cost-effective solutions.
- Responsible for leading new product and service development for software and IOT related offerings
Grow Profile of the Software Engineering Department
- Set, communicate, and manage strategic objectives for Software Engineering team.
- Maintain & develop lasting partnerships with customers, technology partners, universities.
- Represent Software Engineering team at management level.
- Collaborate with peers on the management team to deliver best outcomes for the department and the wider business.
Key Skills & Attributes
- Focused on delivery.
- Excellent organisational skills
- Customer focused.
- Ability to lead and manage a team.
- Trustworthy & efficient
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- Ability to make responsible & effective decisions.
- Systems thinker
- Excellent planning, prioritisation, and task management skills
- The role is based on site in Modular Automation Shannon, Co. Clare
- The role involves travel to supplier and vendor sites related to projects.
Modular Automation offer the following benefits:
- Flexible work scheme
- Sickness pay benefit.
- Free Doctor Visits.
- Free Annual Health Screen.
- Life Assurance.
- Health Insurance Contribution.
- Permanent Health Insurance.
- Company bonus.
- 26 weeks paid maternity leave.
- 5 days paid paternity leave.
- 23 days annual leave.
- Company Pension Plan.
- Increased annual leave entitlements based on length of service.
- Training support and professional development.
- Volunteering, charity, and fundraising activities.
- Sports and social club.
- Bike to work scheme.
- Free onsite gym.
- Modular health and well-being committee.
- Employee assistance programme.
To apply please send your CV to email@example.com